Mark CaronManager / DesignOps / UX Mark Caron
Passionate DesignOps and UX leader experienced in managing cross-functional design and engineering teams, and standardizing best practices.
Manager, Digital UX + Design Systems,
Red Hat, Raleigh, NC
- Manage a cross-functional team of UX designers and frontend developers that are responsible for designing, building, and maintaining Red Hat's Design System (formerly PatternFly Elements) in addition to other shared services for all of Red Hat's digital site systems.
- Define (and improve) our corporate design language in collaboration with other UX/design managers and UX designers at Red Hat in our Design Program Office.
- Serve on our Design Program Office's Culture + Comms working group; promoting our design culture at Red Hat.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, managers, designers and developers across Red Hat and in the community to create roadmaps for improvements on and the maintenance of our open source Design System.
- Consult on accessibility compliance and best practices in Red Hat's Accessibility Working Group (RHa11y).
Associate Manager, Delivery Lead,
Red Hat, Raleigh, NC
- Managed IT Training & Certifications Applications team of six direct reports, responsible for career development, performance reviews, and delivery of web applications for Red Hat’s Global Learning Services.
- Collaborated with business and other stakeholders on feature requests, project planning and cross-departmental priorities and resource management.
- Led scrum ceremonies.
- Planned, developed roadmaps for and led my team’s effort in migrating our 23 applications to Red Hat’s new datacenter. Part of a larger, multi-year IT cloud infrastructure update which requires coordination across the entire IT organization.
- Worked with my team and the business to improve our applications' UX and accessibility. This effort included streamlining our UI service and developer workflow by standardizing on Red Hat's PatternFly Elements web component-based pattern library.
- Active member of Red Hat’s Accessibility working group (RHa11y)—a company-wide community of accessibility experts. My contributions included working with our legal department to draft an official policy on accessibility; consulting on ADA requirements and accessibility best practices throughout the organization; develop resources for designers, engineers and content authors; and continuing to advocate for accessibility at Red Hat and in the community.
Principal UX Interaction Designer & Web Developer, Creative Lead,
Red Hat, Raleigh, NC
- Consulted with stakeholders, product owners, and developers across multiple departments on creative direction, UX, interaction design, information architecture, Web Standards, and accessibility.
- Served on Red Hat’s Digital Design System Collaborative (a small team of design leads from across Red Hat) and in our Web Strategy Summits in an effort to standardize design patterns and component libraries for our products and web properties.
- Managed front-end development policies, style guidelines, design patterns, PatternFly Elements library (framework-agnostic Web Components), and chroming service for Red Hat’s award-winning Customer Portal.
- Designed UI wireframes; created rapid prototypes; designed mockups; consulted on UX/UI issues, bugs and RFEs; mapped user journeys; and developed Customer Portal web applications.
- Organized TriUXPA events at Red Hat, conducted internal “Lunch and Learns” about accessibility and web standards, and spoke about UX and web development at local middle and high schools.
- Established and co-led Red Hat’s partnership with Governor Morehead School in knowledge sharing on UX research in accessibility through an Accessibility Specialist mentorship program.
- Invited to serve on the Governor Morehead Foundation’s board as well as WakeTech’s Advisory Board as a result of the relationships built with the schools.
Senior Web Designer, Creative & Technical Lead,
Atlantic BT, Raleigh, NC
- Provided creative direction to designers and led UX conceptualization.
- Directed design team’s day-to-day functions, managed design department resources, and interviewed design candidates.
- Consulted with clients on project scope, project requirements, design estimates and creative direction.
- Collaborated with UX and marketing teams to develop solutions for customers.
- Mentored design and development teams in Web Standards and web development best practices.
- Worked as lead designer on major projects, including marketing-focused websites, large-scale web and mobile applications, and e-commerce solutions.
- Provided technical assistance to front-end developers.
- Created and managed our front-end development library and company standards.
- Established and developed a core WordPress framework that reduced development time and increased profits by 35% on our low-margin projects.
Bachelors in Visual Art,
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC